What is the Council On Aging of Central Oregon and what do they do?

As Our Mission states “We advocate for, empower and guide older adults and their loved ones to live with independence and well-being.” Our main focus is on providing Information and Resource Referral, Meals on Wheels, Case Management, Medicare Counseling, Family Caregiver Support, Community Meals, and Nutritional Counseling.

I don’t know where to start, what should I do?

Dealing with senior adult issues for yourself, family members or friends can be challenging. We are here to help you navigate those challenges, find relevant resources, and develop a plan of action. It would be helpful for you to start by listing out what you think the greatest needs are. Then note the barriers to fulfilling those needs and what resources you have available? This will help us guide you in the right direction. Call our office at 541-678-5483 to start the conversation.

What do I do if I suspect an elder in my life is being abused?

According to the Elder Justice Coalition, more than six million older adults fall victim to elder abuse every year, representing roughly one of every ten adults age 60 and older. Perpetrators may include children, other family members, or spouses—as well as staff at nursing homes, assisted living, and other facilities. Elder abuse can take the form of physical, sexual, emotional and financial abuse, as well as neglect and abandonment.

Ultimately, you may feel in your gut that something is wrong. Trust your instincts and call the toll-free hotline 1-855-503-7233 or go online to report anything suspicious.

What is the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?

Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people who are 65 or older, certain younger people with disabilities and people with end stage renal disease. Medicaid is a federal program this is managed by each state to provide health insurance for some low income individuals. Oregon provides Medicaid services through a program it calls the Oregon Health Plan (OHP).

How do I get Meals On Wheels?

Meals On Wheels provides meals delivered up to five times per week to home bound seniors who can no longer shop for or prepare their own meals. In order to qualify one of our Case Managers will complete an in-home assessment. The in-home assessment can also identify additional needs and resources that could be beneficial for the older adult. Other benefits include improved nutrition, friendly visits and ongoing wellness checks.

How can I get low cost or free legal assistance?

There are several options for legal assistance in Central Oregon. The Council On Aging has the Senior Law Project which provides for a 30 minute meeting with an attorney for free. These days are scheduled every three months in various locations throughout the area. Call our office for information on how to schedule. Legal Aid Services of Oregon has an office in Bend that serves Deschutes, Crook and Jefferson Counties. To find out if you qualify for free help from them call 541-385-6950. In Deschutes County there is a program where you can call to make a 30 minute appointment at the Bend downtown library on Wednesday evenings. Call 541-617-7054 for this program. We can also refer you to several Elder Law Attorneys which work on a fee basis.

I am a senior and a veteran, can you help me find services?

Yes, we are happy to help you/your family navigate services for veterans in Central Oregon. Please call our Office at (541) 678-5483 to speak to one of our Information and Referral Specialists.

What are my options to get In-Home Care?

There are some options to find caregivers that will come into the home to provide a variety of services. There are several local In-Home Care Agencies in Central Oregon that provide a variety of services, plus there is the Oregon Home Care Commission which is a statewide registry of private caregivers you can hire. Call our office to find out more.

Can the Council On Aging help with Resources for housing options?

Yes, we can explain the various housing options including apartments, retirement living, care facilities, adult foster homes. We can also refer you to the appropriate organization to find out more about the HUD Housing Choice Voucher Program for low income people. Call our office at (541) 678-5483 to find out more.

Are there dental resources available for seniors that are low income and do not have dental insurance?

Yes, there are several resources we can provide for dental resources in Central Oregon. Call our Office at (541) 678 5483 to find out more.