About Caring Connections
It is common for older adults to feel socially isolated and lonely. The COVID-19 pandemic has only made this isolation worse. Through our Caring Connections program, our volunteers provide companionship and social contact to older adults through weekly phone calls.
Volunteers and seniors are carefully matched by common interests and language/culture. The special relationship that can develop between a client and a volunteer enables the client to have greater social interaction to maintain healthy, independent living. Our volunteers are local to Central Oregon, are trained and background checked.
Who the Program Is For
- Seniors 60+ who would like to talk to someone regularly
- Seniors who might live alone
- Seniors who may have little to no family supports to rely on
- Seniors who are able and open to have a volunteer call them on an ongoing basis
We are serving seniors in Deschutes, Jefferson and Crook counties.
- Opportunity for meaningful connections with others
- Calls double as a safety check, providing peace of mind to seniors and their families
- Helps combat the negative effects of social isolation, especially during COVID-19 restrictions
What Our Clients Are Saying
“My Caring Connections volunteer calls me each week. He is conscientious and has never once missed calling me! I’m grateful to the Council on Aging for having this program. My Caring Connections buddy has helped a great deal in alleviating the loneliness that I feel.” –Joseph
How to Get Started
If you are a senior interested in joining our Caring Connections program or know an older adult who would be a good fit for connecting to a volunteer weekly, call us at (541) 678-5483.
Interested in Being A Caring Connections Volunteer?
Could you take some time each week to make a senior’s day?
Volunteer with our Caring Connections program to provide friendly phone calls and check-ins to a senior who is looking for connection, especially now with COVID-19. Your simple weekly phone calls mean the world to seniors who do not get regular contact with others. For some seniors, you may be the only person they talk with that day and you can help reduce their feelings of social isolation. Volunteers are needed to:
- Call assigned seniors at least once a week
- Can volunteer from home
- We provide training
- Volunteers do need to pass a background check
If you are interested in volunteering, please call us at (541) 678-5483.