For many seniors, fur babies are like a best friend. They smile with their tails and love you just the way you are. But for some people, it’s not always easy to get to the pet store, and vet bills can add up. That’s why the Council on Aging of Central Oregon has created the Pet Pals Program, which provides two services:
- Volunteers deliver pet food and supplies monthly.
- Financial assistance with basic veterinary care through FIXBend in Bend and Wickiup Animal Hospital in La Pine.
The program currently serves 73 seniors with 110 pets ranging from dogs and kittens to a cockatiel.
“My dog is my buddy and makes me so happy. I’m grateful for all you do.”Randy, Pet Pals Participant
Who is the program for?
Meals-on-Wheels participants in Bend, Sisters, or La Pine
- Two current household pets per participant
- Vet care is only covered through FIXBend in Bend or Wickiup Animal Hospital in La Pine
- No financial reimbursement to recipients for any products or services purchased for their pets
- Services are determined by program funding and eligibility and provided on an “as-needed” basis
- FIXBend, a Rawley Project Program
- Wickiup Animal Hospital
- Furry Friends Foundation
- Hope Foundation
The Council on Aging is working to grow the program to other cities across Central Oregon. As Pet Pals expands, donations are welcome and much appreciated. We accept monetary donations as well as donations of dog and cat food, leashes, collars, harnesses, cat litter, litter boxes, and treats.
For questions about the program, please contact Stacy Eidler, Pet Pals Manager, at 541-323-0433 or email@example.com
To volunteer for the Pet Pals Program, please fill out our online volunteer form.