Why spend money if you can get products and services for free? Whether through the federal, state, or local government or churches and non-profits in your area, there are many options. Do your research and start saving money and enjoying retirement.

Another way to find free services specifically is through the Eldercare Locator website. This program is funded by the U.S. Administration on Aging and can help you find transportation, legal assistance, elder abuse resources, and more. Some services may just be discounted, but many are free. You can also call them at 1-800-677-1116 for assistance.

Free Dental Care

If you are a lower-income senior, Donated Dental Services (DDS) provides free senior dental care. The program is entirely staffed by volunteer dentists and is available in every state. Their website has a listing of facilities by state and their application process. You may also get dentures for free by contacting your state’s dental association.

Free Medical Services

Low-income older adults can also receive medical services through local free clinics run by the National Association of Free and Charitable Clinics. If you need help with medication, pharmaceutical companies operate Patient Assistance Programs that provide seniors with free medication. Some of these programs are run by states and can be found on the National Council on Aging website. The RXAssist website and the NCOA-sponsored BenefitsCheckUp site help you search for PAPs offered directly from drug companies.

Free Eye Care

Lions Clubs International provides free eyeglasses, exams, and glaucoma screenings. These services vary based on your local Lions Club.

Free Hearing Aids

If you need a hearing aid, some organizations help seniors obtain them for free.

  • The National Hearing Aid Project assists low-income seniors with finding hearing aids, although depending on your level of income, they may not be free but very low cost.
  • Other organizations that assist with getting new or refurbished hearing aids for seniors include the Lions Club and Kiwanis Club through their local branches.
  • You may also qualify for a free hearing aid through Medicaid and the Veterans Administration. If you need help understanding your government benefits through Medicare cover, the Senior Health Insurance Assistant Program helps seniors with free health insurance counseling. Note that programs may have different names in different states. In Oregon, there are counselors that have gone through Senior Health Insurance Benefits Assistance (SHIBA) training and offer objective advice through the Council on Aging of Central Oregon.
  • Seniors who have hearing loss can also get a free phone from CaptionCall. The phones have a screen interface that provides captioning for incoming calls.

Free Food

Meals on Wheels provides over 2 million meals a year to homebound or disabled seniors. The Council on Aging of Central Oregon is your local food support resource for Meals on Wheels, community dining, and Grab-N-Go lunches.

The USDA Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) provides low-income seniors with food packages to supplement their regular meals. The packages include items like canned goods, peanut butter, cereal, milk, and juice. CFSP is available in most states, Puerto Rico, and some Native American reservations.

Free Education

Seniors who want to go to college can get fee waivers from several states. Some waivers may only cover part of the cost, but many programs get you tuition-free of charge. Oregon State University allows senior citizens at least 65 years old to audit classes for free. The University of Oregon also waives fees for seniors 65 and older auditing classes on a space-available basis. Online course options may be offered depending on availability.

Free Tax Preparation

Many agencies assist each tax season, depending on your status and need. A community center, library, or senior center would be the best place to look for information. Tax Counseling for the Elderly provides free preparation services for seniors. You can find a TCE office near you by calling 800-906-9887 or the AARP website.

Phone and Internet Service

The Lifeline program, funded by the Federal Communications Commission, provides low-cost and free cell phone or landline services for low-income seniors. The program is available through various phone service providers, such as QLink and AT&T, and options will vary. Some providers include a free phone while others do not, so it’s best to shop around.

Council on Aging of Central Oregon or other Area Agencies on Aging (AAA)

“AAAs” are available in most major cities and provide resources for older adults. Services at each office will vary, so you’ll need to contact your local office to see what they provide. Typically, AAAs offer free Medicare counseling, nutrition education, food support like Meals on Wheel, minor home repair, and help with applying for government assistance programs.


  1. 1
    Rebecca Baade on October 6, 2022

    Hello i am trying to get approved for the lifeline and cap and ebb programs for my elderly parents and grandparents who all live in the same house but do not share income or bills

    1. 2
      efriedcassorla on October 10, 2022

      Good morning Rebecca — Please call our office at (541) 678-5483. Our information and referral specialists can help. -Emma

  2. 3
    Terry G. Watkins on January 6, 2023

    Hello, Hello! My name is Terry Watkins and I’m 69 years old. I’m one of those Adults that is called a low income American. American. Had a head injury person and I’m coveraged by Medicare/Medicad. It’s do to low income. I’m going to ask you, am I covered enough for a Dentist to take you/gov. to do sevice on taking care of what problem I’m having with teeth turning black, louse ect. What do Ya think? Am I or Am I Not ?

    1. 4
      efriedcassorla on January 6, 2023

      Hi Terry, the Council on Aging can help you navigate Medicare coverage if you call us at (541) 678-5483. For Medicaid questions, please call your local Aging and People with Disabilities office. You can find a list of those phone numbers here: https://www.oregon.gov/dhs/Offices/Pages/Seniors-Disabilities.aspx. -Emma

  3. 5
    Tom Pullen on February 10, 2023

    I live alone, no family or friends.
    Looking for transportation services for procedures & surgeries with IV sedation.

    1. 6
      efriedcassorla on February 10, 2023

      Hi Tom, Transportation options in Central Oregon are very limited. Please give us a call at (541) 678-5483 and our Information and Referral Specialist can help you navigate through the available options. -Emma

  4. 7
    Sue on February 11, 2023

    I’m looking for reduced price, sugar free Ensure or like items. I’m 79 and have fatigue. Can anyone help.

    Thank you, Sue

  5. 8
    Linda Landry on March 8, 2023

    I am in need of free hearing aids. My yearly income is less than $13000 . I live in the state of Louisiana. Livingston Parish.
    I need info on who may be able to help. I am 78 yrs. old

    1. 9
      Jamie J Fargher on August 15, 2023

      Hi, Linda. I’m Jamie and I’m not affiliated with this site but I’ve been doing research to try to help an elderly neighbor with free or reduced services since nobody(including her sons..who are her neighbors) else will advocate for her. Anyway, after I saw your question, I did a bit of digging and found a few that do offer hearing aids for low income elderly. I can link to it so here it..NCOA. Org. Good Luck, and I really hope they can help.

  6. 10
    Annette Metzler on May 5, 2023

    Hello, im looking for info regarding my 78 year mother that lives in Florence Oregon and is in need of someone to help with taking her to appointments cause she cant see to drive and someone who can help paying her bills also she just went through breast cancer and needs to get to Eugene for radiation back and forth. She really needs some kind of service that the state can pay for and just need some help with this. Any ideas please call Annette at (559)770-1219 Thank you so much.

    1. 11
      efriedcassorla on May 5, 2023

      Hi Annette – You’ll want to contact Senior and Disability Services of Lane County. You can find info about them here https://www.lcog.org/sdslane or call them at 541-682-3353. Best, Emma

  7. 12
    Paula Winslowe on May 8, 2023

    I am trying to help a friend, age 79 this June & low income, find preferably free and/or low cost medical services for: dentures or permanent dentures & the posts/implants & follow-up treatments they require, also help with eye expenses – she is to have cataract surgery and the lenses they replace her own with & glasses, other medical concerns, she prob also would need some help with transportation if out of her local area of Kitsap County, Bremerton, Washington. Can you provide any phone numbers and programs to contact? She is not computer literate & I am better but not much though I have a friend who could help with computer applications, etc. Thank you very much. Your website is wonderful.

    1. 13
      Kellee Stritzel on May 16, 2023

      I’m aging and I need assistance as I enter my golden years.

    2. 14
      efriedcassorla on June 5, 2023

      Hi Kellee,
      Feel free to give us a call at (541) 678-5483 to talk with our information and referral specialist.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.